MAPS recently stumbled upon a great movement that is bringing awareness of the poverty cycle that continues to flourish in the developing world—The Girl Effect.
What is the Girl Effect?
“The unique potential of 600 million adolescent girls to end poverty for themselves and the world.”
The Girl Effect teaches the general common people 10 top facts…
1. Girls cannot prove their age, protect themselves form child marriage, open a bank account, vote, or get a job, unless they have a birth certificate or an ID.
2. 70% of the world’s out-of-school children are girls.
3. Pregnancy is the leading cause of death for girls 15-18 years old.
4. Girls need to be educated about HIV and new to be empowered and supported to make their own choices.
5. If girls have the skills, understand their rights, and are finically literate, they will be armed and ready for economic independence.
6.Less than two cents of every international aid dollar is directed to girls.
7. Adolescent girls are not just future women, they are girls and deserve their own category.
8. Girls need advocates to enforce good laws and change discriminatory policies.
9. There needs to be more statistics about girls to increase awareness
10. Everyone needs to be a part of this change.
Spread the word, donate, and learn more by visiting The Girl Effect.